Have you been charged with resisting arrest in Cincinnati, Ohio? Depending on the circumstances, you could face a misdemeanor or felony charge on top of any other underlying crimes you were accused of committing. That’s why it’s crucial to enlist the help of an experienced legal advocate to protect your rights and freedom.
The Cincinnati criminal defense attorneys at Suhre & Associates, LLC are here to help. With over 100 years of combined experience, our legal team is well-equipped to represent you and fight for your future.
Let us put our skills and knowledge to work for you if you’re facing resisting arrest and other charges in Cincinnati, OH. We offer a free consultation and are available 24/7 to take your call, so contact us at (513) 333-0014 now to get the criminal defense team you deserve.
How Our Cincinnati Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Help If You’re Charged With Resisting Arrest
When confronted by the police, many people get nervous or defensive, leading them to run or get combative. Unfortunately, this can lead to resisting arrest allegations, even if you aren’t charged with any other crime.
However, these charges are frequently unsubstantiated or tacked on for dubious reasons, such as to cover up or excuse police misconduct. It’ll take an experienced Cincinnati criminal defense lawyer to determine what really happened and gather exculpatory evidence.
Suhre & Associates, LLC should be your first call. Our legal team includes a former police officer and a former prosecutor, giving us valuable insight into how they operate. We’ll be able to gather and evaluate information and identify weaknesses in the case against you.
If you hire our criminal defense legal team for help with your resisting arrest charges, we’ll:
- Meet with you during a free consultation to listen to your version of what happened and offer sound legal advice
- Investigate the charges against you and gather our own evidence disproving the prosecution’s case
- Evaluate whether the police violated your constitutional rights during your arrest
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the prosecuting attorney and preserve your rights throughout the process
- Keep you informed and ensure you understand the implications of any decisions you make
- Work towards the best possible outcome in your case, including a dismissal or reduction of charges or a plea bargain
Contact our law office today for a free initial consultation to see how we can assist you with your resisting arrest charges in Cincinnati, OH.
What Is Considered Resisting Arrest in Ohio?
You can be charged with resisting arrest in Ohio if you recklessly or forcefully resist or interfere with the lawful arrest of yourself or another person. This is typically charged as a second-degree misdemeanor.
However, if you cause physical harm to a police officer while resisting arrest, the charge is enhanced to a first-degree misdemeanor.
The charge is increased to a fourth-degree felony if you do any of the following while resisting arrest:
- Recklessly cause physical harm to a police officer by using a deadly weapon
- Brandish a deadly weapon while resisting arrest
A deadly weapon is any device, instrument, or thing capable of causing death and designed or adapted for use as a weapon (or possessed, used, or carried as a weapon).
What Are the Penalties for Resisting Arrest in Ohio?
The penalties for resisting arrest in Ohio depend on the charge and circumstances.
- A second-degree misdemeanor carries a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $750
- A first-degree misdemeanor carries a penalty of up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000
- A fourth-degree felony carries a penalty of up to 18 months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to $5,000
You may also face collateral consequences, whether you’re convicted of a misdemeanor or felony. Having a criminal record can hinder your ability to find employment, retain custody of your children, carry a firearm, and more.
Suhre & Associates, LLC will fight for you to ensure you receive the most lenient punishment possible.
What Defenses Are Available If I’m Accused of Resisting Arrest in Cincinnati?
Depending on the circumstances, several defenses may be available for a resisting arrest charge, including:
- You were falsely accused
- The arrest was unlawful (e.g., the law enforcement officer lacked probable cause)
- You didn’t actually resist or interfere with the arrest
- You were acting in self-defense (e.g., the police used excessive force, and you were protecting yourself)
- Your constitutional rights were violated
Other defenses may apply based on the circumstances surrounding your arrest. Contact our criminal defense lawyers in Cincinnati to discuss what happened. We’ll start working on your case immediately to minimize the penalties and protect your freedom.
Contact Suhre & Associates, LLC If You’ve Been Accused of Resisting Arrest in Cincinnati, OH
Are you facing resisting arrest charges in Cincinnati, OH? These charges often accompany other criminal offenses, such as a DUI/OVI or disorderly conduct. Don’t let these charges ruin your reputation. Seek help from our experienced Cincinnati criminal lawyers.
We’ll put our combined 100 years of experience to work for you as we attempt to have your charges reduced or dropped. Contact us today to schedule a free, confidential case evaluation to see what we can do to help you.